Confirmation brings to completion the grace received through baptism. By this sacrament the baptized are more perfectly bound to the church and are enriched by the strength of the Holy Spirit. This gift conforms believers more fully to Christ and strengthens them to bear witness to Christ for the building up of his body in faith and love.
Click here for RATIONALE of District Collaborative & District Celebration of the Sacrament.
Four District Collaborative Confirmation Events
1. District Confirmation Candidate & Parent Opening Session - Thursday, September 6, 2018, from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm at St. Marcellus Social Hall, 1340 Jefferson Road, Jefferson, PA 15344.
2. District Confirmation MEET & GREET (Mass & Lunch) - Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018, from 12:30 - 3:00 p.m., at Ten Mile Creek Park,128 Maple Rd., Clarksville, PA 15322, in the Audia Shelter / Pavillion. Click here for DIRECTIONS.
Click here for Flyer. Please RSVP no later than Sept. 24 (by completing Flyer or ONLINE at www.tinyurl.com/districtmeetandgreet). Thank you.
3. Confirmation Retreat - Saturday, February 23, 2019, at Mount St. Macrina, Uniontown, PA, (Time TBA - between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm) with lunch & transportation provided.
4. Confirmation Evening of Reflection & Rehearsal - Date & Time TBA. Location at St. Marcellus Social Hall, 1340 Jefferson Road, Jefferson, PA 15344.
The Sacrament of Confirmation for Greene County Candidates (CCD grade 8) - TBA
The Greene County Confirmation Candidates include St. Ann Parish of Waynesburg, St. Hugh and Our Lady of Consolation Parishes of Carmichaels, St. Ignatius Parish of Bobtown, and St. Thomas Parish of Clarksville (CCD site: St. Marcellus of Jefferson).
St. Katharine Drexel of SE Washington will join us.
ALL CHOIRS from St. Katharine Drexel Parish and Greene County Parishes are invited to SING for Confirmation TBA and Practices TBA.
NOTE: Confirmation candidates must be at least in the 8th grade in the Pittsburgh Diocese. "From the age of reason, children should be participating in the catechetical programs the local church provides" (Policies for the Diocese of Pittsburgh, THE SACRAMENTS OF INITIATION, Chapter III, Confirmation, Readiness/Formation #101).
The Diocese of Pittsburgh has official qualifications of confirmation sponsors as well as several guidelines and/or recommendations.
Qualifications of Confirmation Sponsors
- Be designated by the candidate, by the parents or guardians, or the pastor.
- Have the qualifications and intention of performing the role of sponsor.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Be a fully initiated Catholic (received baptism, confirmation and Eucharist).
- Lead a life in harmony with the faith and role of a sponsor (i.e., be a member of a parish, attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days, not be in an irregular marriage, etc.).
- Not be bound by a canonical penalty.
- Not be the father or mother of the one to be confirmed.
Sponsors for the sacrament of confirmation must abide by the same qualifications as sponsors for the sacrament of baptism. In addition, the following guidelines and/or recommendations apply:
- There is normally one sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation.
- It is recommended that a baptismal godparent exercise the role of confirmation sponsor.
- A non-Catholic may not serve as a sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation. (It is discouraged that a spouse serve as confirmation sponsor).
Our diocese continues the practice of requiring proof of eligibility for sponsorship (in accord with the qualifications above) from the parish in which the sponsor is registered.
Isaiah told us the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: Is 11:2 “The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.”
The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit
They are: wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord. These seven gifts, part of sanctifying grace, complete and perfect the virtues of those who receive them. They make us docile in obeying divine inspirations without need for reflection but always with full consent.
We are to pray to the Holy Spirit and ask for these gifts.
Prayer to the Holy Spirit --Come Holy Spirit
Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.
O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful,
grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations,
Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.