Confirmation brings to completion the grace received through baptism. By this sacrament the baptized are more perfectly bound to the church and are enriched by the strength of the Holy Spirit. This gift conforms believers more fully to Christ and strengthens them to bear witness to Christ for the building up of his body in faith and love.
Students Confirmed at LAST CONFIRMATION on APRIL 5, 2018, are invited to FREE Kennywood Trip
on Monday, July 23, 2018, with TRANSPORTATION PROVIDED at St. Katharine Drexel Parish in Bentleyville, PA.
See links below for details and to register.
Click for Info & Bus Form. DUE BY JULY 10 to Marita Hunchuck-Parker, St. Katharine Drexel Parish.
Click for Kennywood Schedule
Click for Student Release Form (completed forms required for all students riding bus)
Click for Student Content to Treat Form (completed forms required for all students riding bus)
Click for Adult Registration Form (completed forms required for all parent/adult riding bus)
**Note: ONLY newly Confirmed students (4/5/2018) received their Kennywood tickets for FREE (please use Bus Form above) from our local Parishes. All others (youth, parents, etc.) must order Kennywood tickets thru PGHpriest.com. $23 per ticket.
Questions: Contact Marita Hunchuck-Parker at St. Katharine Drexel Parish by email, firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 724-209-1370 ext. 405.
Click here for RATIONALE of District Collaborative & District Celebration of the Sacrament.
Four District Collaborative Confirmation Events
1. Parent Meeting - SAVE THE DATE - Thursday, September 6, 2018, from 7:00 pm to 8:30 pm at St. Marcellus Church, Jefferson, PA
2. District Confirmation MEET & GREET (Mass & Lunch) - SAVE THE DATE -
Sunday, Sept. 30, 2018, from 12:30 - 3:00 p.m., at Ten Mile Creek Park,128 Maple Rd., Clarksville, PA, in the Audia Shelter / Pavillion.
3. Confirmation Retreat - TBA on a Saturday (between 9:00 am to 5:00 pm) with lunch & transportation provided
4. Confirmation Evening of Reflection & Rehearsal - TBA
The Sacrament of Confirmation for Greene County Candidates (CCD grade 8) - TBA
The Greene County Confirmation Candidates include St. Ann Parish of Waynesburg, St. Hugh and Our Lady of Consolation Parishes of Carmichaels, St. Ignatius Parish of Bobtown, and St. Thomas Parish of Clarksville (CCD site: St. Marcellus of Jefferson).
St. Katharine Drexel of SE Washington will join us.
ALL CHOIRS from St. Katharine Drexel Parish and Greene County Parishes are invited to SING for Confirmation TBA and Practices TBA.
NOTE: Confirmation candidates must be at least in the 8th grade in the Pittsburgh Diocese. "From the age of reason, children should be participating in the catechetical programs the local church provides" (Policies for the Diocese of Pittsburgh, THE SACRAMENTS OF INITIATION, Chapter III, Confirmation, Readiness/Formation #101).
The Diocese of Pittsburgh has official qualifications of confirmation sponsors as well as several guidelines and/or recommendations.
Qualifications of Confirmation Sponsors
- Be designated by the candidate, by the parents or guardians, or the pastor.
- Have the qualifications and intention of performing the role of sponsor.
- Be at least 16 years old.
- Be a fully initiated Catholic (received baptism, confirmation and Eucharist).
- Lead a life in harmony with the faith and role of a sponsor (i.e., be a member of a parish, attend Mass on Sundays and Holy Days, not be in an irregular marriage, etc.).
- Not be bound by a canonical penalty.
- Not be the father or mother of the one to be confirmed.
Sponsors for the sacrament of confirmation must abide by the same qualifications as sponsors for the sacrament of baptism. In addition, the following guidelines and/or recommendations apply:
- There is normally one sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation.
- It is recommended that a baptismal godparent exercise the role of confirmation sponsor.
- A non-Catholic may not serve as a sponsor for the sacrament of confirmation. (It is discouraged that a spouse serve as confirmation sponsor).
Our diocese continues the practice of requiring proof of eligibility for sponsorship (in accord with the qualifications above) from the parish in which the sponsor is registered.
Isaiah told us the seven gifts of the Holy Spirit: Is 11:2 “The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and the fear of the Lord.”
The Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit
They are: wisdom, understanding, counsel, fortitude, knowledge, piety, and fear of the Lord. These seven gifts, part of sanctifying grace, complete and perfect the virtues of those who receive them. They make us docile in obeying divine inspirations without need for reflection but always with full consent.
We are to pray to the Holy Spirit and ask for these gifts.
Prayer to the Holy Spirit --Come Holy Spirit
Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love.
Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.
O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful,
grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations,
Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.