The following is a summary of the Diocese of Pittsburgh’s letter to all those involved in parish ministry:
We are all aware of the grave problem of the abuse of children that exists within society. Each of us must do all that we can to help protect those children entrusted to us. This is especially important for those that work and minister in the Church. As a critical part of our safe environment policy for young people, the Diocese of Pittsburgh has created a centralized electronic database of all those who work and minister within the Church. To create this secured diocesan database, all who may have contact with young people under the age of 18 are now required to create an electronic file by completing a database application. This includes clergy, religious, employees and volunteers in the parish. The centralized diocesan database is our means to ensure that the Church — locally and nationally — not only fulfills the mandate of the Church in the United States as outlined in the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People and the clear requirements of the Diocese of Pittsburgh policy, but also meets the requirements of state and federal law. Most important, this centralized database is vital in sustaining a safe environment for our children throughout the Diocese of Pittsburgh. We can expect nothing less of ourselves as we seek to be the standard-bearer in society for the protection of young people.
To comply with the Pittsburgh Diocese’s Safe Environments for Children Policy ALL Greene County parish volunteers are required to complete the following:
Diocese of Pittsburgh Application for Employees & Volunteers: You may file your application electronically on your home computer at the Diocese of Pittsburgh website www.diopitt.org Safe Environment Database by following the directions on the Instruction Card or you may obtain a paper application from:
Christine Zabrosky, Safe Environment Coordinator for both St. Hugh And Our Lady of Consolation Parishes
Marci Snee, Safe Environment Coordinator for St. Ann
Deacon Bert Kuhns, Safe Environment Coordinator for St. Thomas and St. Marcellus
This paper application must be completed and returned to your respective parish offices.
DO NOT complete the online database application before contacting your Safe Environment Coordinator.
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check: This will be automatically generated once your application is complete and filed online. You may request a copy for your personal files.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Application.
- Consent/Release of Information Authorization Form for the PA Child Abuse History Clearance.
- Code of Pastoral Conduct.
- Protecting God’s Children Workshop: You are also required to attend a PGC Workshop within 6 months of submitting your database application. (If you do not, your files will be archived automatically by the diocese and you are no longer considered eligible as a parish volunteer until this step is completed.) To find a PGC Workshop visit the Diocese of Pittsburgh website www.diopitt.org, Protecting God’s Children Workshops or contact the Safe Environment Coordinator.
ALL DOCUMENTS CAN BE OBTAINED BY CONTACTING YOUR SAFE ENVIRONMENT COORDINATOR FOR ALL GREENE COUNTY PARISHES. Chrstine, Marci or Bert will be glad to answer any questions you have concerning the above process and will help you to complete each form and/or step necessary for parish volunteers.
Thank you for becoming a parish volunteer, and for helping to ensure that our parishes and ministries are safe environments for our children.