Click here for Diocesan Safe Environment letter to CCD parents.
The following is a summary of the Diocese of Pittsburgh’s letter to all those involved in parish ministry:
We are all aware of the grave problem of the abuse of children that exists within society. Each of us must do all that we can to help protect those children entrusted to us. This is especially important for those that work and minister in the Church. As a critical part of our safe environment policy for young people, the Diocese of Pittsburgh has created a centralized electronic database of all those who work and minister within the Church. To create this secured diocesan database, all who may have contact with young people under the age of 18 are now required to create an electronic file by completing a database application. This includes clergy, religious, employees and volunteers in the parish. The centralized diocesan database is our means to ensure that the Church — locally and nationally — not only fulfills the mandate of the Church in the United States as outlined in the Charter for the Protection of Children and Young People and the clear requirements of the Diocese of Pittsburgh policy, but also meets the requirements of state and federal law. Most important, this centralized database is vital in sustaining a safe environment for our children throughout the Diocese of Pittsburgh. We can expect nothing less of ourselves as we seek to be the standard-bearer in society for the protection of young people.
To comply with the Diocese of Pittsburgh Policy: Safe Environments for Children ALL Greene County parish employees/volunteers are required to complete the following:
- Diocese of Pittsburgh Application for Employees & Volunteers: You may file your application electronically on your home computer at the Diocese of Pittsburgh website www.diopitt.org.
1. To complete the application online go to www.diopitt.org, at the very top of the webpage click on PROTECTION OF CHILDREN.
2. Scroll down and click on - Parish Volunteer
3. Click on - #1. Safe Environment Database/PA State Police Clearance/Code of Pastoral Conduct/Child Protective Services Law
4. Go to and begin application process at - First time users are asked to click here to register and create a User ID/Password in order to complete the application.
5. On the next page -- Primary Parish (this would be either the parish where you are a registered member or the parish where you plan to volunteer).
6. Continue with the application as instructed. The Access Code is Protect. Be sure to write down your User ID and Password to access your application later if needed.
DO NOT complete the online database application before contacting your Safe Environment Coordinator. You may obtain a paper application from your parish's Safe Environment Coordinator. If filling out a paper application, it must be completed and returned to your respective parish Safe Environment Coordinator to complete the online application process.
Christine Zabrosky, coordinator for both St. Hugh And Our Lady of Consolation - (724) 966-7270
Marci Snee, coordinator for St. Ann - (724) 627-7568
Deacon Bert Kuhns, coordinator for St. Thomas the Apostle and St. Marcellus - (724) 377-2588
Jennifer Dickerson, coordinator for St. Ignatius of Antioch - (724) 839-7122
- PA State Police Criminal Record Check: This will be automatically generated once your application is complete and filed online.
- Code of Pastoral Conduct (CPC): This booklet is posted online as added section of the database application. Please open, read and check the "I have read" box (your signature for the acknowledgement of receipt of booklet). Please print a copy FYI.
- Child Protective Services Law (CPSL): This booklet is also posted online as an added section of the database application. Please open, read and check the "I have read" box (your signature for the acknowledgement of receipt of booklet). Please print a copy FYI.
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance Application: A paper application may be obtained from your Safe Environment Coordinator.
- Consent/Release of Information Authorization Form for the PA Child Abuse History Clearance: This is to be attached to the above application and is obtained from your Safe Environment Coordinator.
- FBI Clearance (for employees or person living in PA less than 10 years) or Fingerprint Waiver (for volunteers who have lived in PA 10 years)
- Protecting God’s Children Workshop: You are also required to complete/attend a PGC Workshop within 3 months of submitting your database application. (If you do not, your files will be archived automatically by the diocese and you are no longer considered eligible as a parish volunteer until this step is completed.) You may complete an online PGC Workshop or attend a live workshop session at a parish near you. Both can be found at www.diopitt.org. For help or more information please contact your Safe Environment Coordinator.
- Mandated Reporter Training (must complete if you are an employee or your volunteer position (e.g. catechist, chaperone) is listed in Appendix D of the Diocese of Pittsburgh Policy: Safe Environments for Children). You may complete online training or attend a live workshop session at a parish near you. Both can be found at www.diopitt.org.
ALL ESSENTIAL DOCUMENTS CAN BE OBTAINED ON THE DIOCESE WEB PAGE OR BY CONTACTING YOUR SAFE ENVIRONMENT COORDINATOR AT YOUR LOCAL GREENE COUNTY PARISH. He or she will be glad to answer any questions you have concerning the above process and will help you to complete each form and/or step necessary for parish volunteers.
Thank you for becoming a parish volunteer, and for helping to ensure that our parishes and ministries are safe environments for our children.